Friday, August 12, 2011

NO!

Yesterday I went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and, well, wow. Just... wow. What a truly incredible film. I haven't experienced such a deep emotional breakdown at the movies in almost a decade, which could just mean that I'm in a pretty fragile state of mind these days, but I think it's a little more meaningful than that. A lot more, actually. I was never really that impressed with Andy Serkis' previous portrayal of a CGI ape, but this time around he has done such an amazing work with the character of Caesar that I couldn't really help but fall deeply and madly in love with an animated chimpanzee, and a male one at that. And I even cared about the human characters in the film, which is kind of rare for me these days, but with fantastic actors like John Lithgow (who plays a tragic victim of Alzheimer's disease, something I am very much familiar with) and Brian Cox (who plays the evil ape warden) and even fucking David Hewlett (who plays some sort of asshole), how could I not get sucked neck-deep into the story? Maybe it's all the synthetic crap I've been fed at the movies lately, but I honestly can't remember the last time I came out of a theater knowing that I just had to have a sequel, and soon, or I will surely perish. As a standalone film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an amazing achievement, but there's so much more I'd like to know about this world, so much more I'd like to see, so many more stories that should be told. I know I probably won't live long enough to see the final demise of the human race, but I sure hope I'll get to see it in a Planet of the Apes movie some day. Until then, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Rupert Wyatt for the best monkey movie EVER.

And there's a hot Indian chick in it too!

Where have writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver been hiding all these years?! Their last screenwriting work was in The Relic, back in 1997, which I now need to watch, but that will have to wait until after I'm back from Montenegro. And so, I bid you farewell, suckers! And never forget: if you keep messing up your job as the dominant species on the planet, there will always be others to take your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment