Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Be sure to try the long pig

Today I watched Doomsday, directed by Neil Marshall and starring the crazy-hot Rhona Mitra. It was my second viewing of the film, but the first on DVD. What a great movie! Set in a post apocalyptic Scotland, it is an extremely violent film with loads of cool and creative gore, mixing practical effects with digital elements very nicely, and it looks absolutely gorgeous. The whole thing does. The script is really fun, the directing is excellent, and at no point does it get unintelligent or predictable. I just know that some of the scenes are going to stick in my stupid little mind for a very long time, such as the one showing a man being cooked alive, then devoured by a hungry mob. Lovely. Bob Hoskins is as cool as ever, even when he's not hanging with a cartoon bunny. It's always nice to see DS9 actors out of uniform, and Dr. Julian Bashir as the PM of Britain was sort of hilarious to behold. And I totally dig Scottish chicks. They're so awesome. There's just something about that accent that makes the content of my pants very very happy. I think I got this condition from seeing Trainspotting when I was 16.


Rhona Mitra, not getting raped by an invisible man

A lot of people have compared Doomsday to the Mad Max movies, but I don't think that the comparison does the former any justice. I've only seen the first Mad Max, and it was the American dubbed version, but I don't think that listening to the original Australian dialogs would change the fact that it's one of the most awful, boring movies I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying it because Mel Gibson is all nutty and stuff. Crazy people shouldn't be feared or hated, they should just be locked up and forgotten. Ka'Plah!

1 comment:

  1. First off...Rhona Mitra IS hot!
    Secondly...I'm sure glad I'm not the only person in the world that had a hard time wading through a single sitting of watching Mad Max.

    ReplyDelete