Sunday, September 13, 2009

Attack of the 50 foot 3D whore

I just came back from seeing The Final Destination 3D. I've read a lot of terrible reviews, but I have to admit that I have no idea how anyone could not enjoy this movie. It's got lots and lots of cool (if CGI-fake looking) 3D gore, it's got pretty little 3D chicks, it's got a couple of 3D boobs (partially hidden behind stupid Hebrew subtitles), and best of all, it's got the still-gorgeous Krista Allen (of Emmanuelle in Space fame) playing the honorable part of The MILF! In 4K 3D!!! Sure, it's pretty dumb (the bad guy is Death!), but by the fourth movie everybody knows that it's all about the death scenes. Movies like this aren't supposed to take themselves seriously, and this one sure doesn't. I went into the theater expecting to see pretty people getting offed in entertaining ways, and I definitely got that. And guess what happens to a character who says "I've got my eye on you"! If that's not brilliant writing, I don't know what is. One of the deaths reminded me of Guts, a story from Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted. And I really liked the idea of a 3D movie within a 3D movie, even though their 3D glasses were so much cooler than the ones I got. The 3D in The Final Destination is simply wonderful. Some may call the 3D effects cheap, but come on, it's a dumb 3D horror flick, and if I hadn't seen stuff flying at me I would have felt a little cheated.

Krista Allen as a purdy hologram in Paycheck


About digital 3D: Here in Israel they only use Dolby 3D, not RealD. Unlike the RealD system, which uses cilculary polarized light and requires glasses with polarized lenses, the Dolby 3D system is based on color. Each frame is projected six times, three times for each RGB color and twice for each eye. The glasses have slightly color tinted lenses, one greenish, one violetish, which can cause weird color glitches some of the time, mostly with bright reds, but most of the time it's hardly noticeable. I really like the new 3D technology, and how widespread it's becoming. It sort of turned me into a 3D slut for a while, one who would go to any 3D movie out there simply because it's in 3D, but hopefully I'll grow out of it soon. Seeing Up in 3D was the wake up call I guess I needed in order to realize that going to crappy American CG animated movies just isn't worth it. And the 3D in Up was just pathetic, looking pretty much flat most of the time. When it comes to 3D movies I'll just stick to fun little horror flicks like The Final Destination or My Bloody Valentine, thank you very much. No amount of gore can make me throw up like "heart warming tales for the whole family" can. Except Coraline. Coraline is a very cool film. But it's not really for kids, not really. I'm looking forward to watching it at home in HD. Avatar looks pretty good too. I think I'm going to enjoy that one.

And a word about Yes Planet: their theaters are easily the best ones here in Israel, but the screen in the one I've been to today was so big that in order to make it fit into my 3D glasses' field of vision I had to sit all the way back in the seventh row! I almost never sit further than the third or fourth row. Hmm. Complaining about a movie screen being too large sure makes me feel funny. I think I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment